Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Individouous Consumption


My cousin emailed me today and told me that instead of working she was checking out the dress sales at bluefly.com and Anthropologie, and how sad it was. I wrote her back:

Don't get me started, I just placed an order with Forever 21, and bought a pair of beautiful light brown knee high riding boots from Urban Outfitters that are backordered until the end of August. I'm kind of hoping, in my buyer's remorse, that they don't fit. They're pull on, which means I will agonize getting them on and off.

Why did I buy them? Because I think I NEED to have a pair of light brown boots to complement my black ones...and b/c this fall I've decided I am all about mixing brown with black. It's just an arbitrary decision that cost me $158, plus tax and shipping. I have a fantasy cart at the final sale in J.crew, and a few things in Banana too, which I'm justifing on the basis that I need a nice, black cardigan, and a light brown belt to go with my brown/black thing for the fall. So, add 38 and 48 to 158 and so far, that is how much my new style choice has cost. When fall does arrive I'll probably be over it.

Such is the gerbil wheel of life presented in all of its existential purposelessness -- yeah that's how you spell that word, I checked.

No comments: