Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Fatty Splurge -- in favor of moderation




I just indulged in McDonald's, and I know that you don't eat it, but try to remember you're 11 and you still think it's awesome.

It was delicious, delectable, exquisite. I'll tell you why. There are days when I'm in a big rush, I'll run in and eat something, always making sure to eat the sandwich, and just a few fries; I don't enjoy it on the run, it sits like a cannoball in my stomach. And I've been very good about sticking to my groceries for economic and health reasons...but today, oh today my hormones were calling out for food, and not just any food.

McDonald's popped into my head, "I'll just go in and get a burger, just to taste", I told myself. But at the counter I ordered an entire meal. From the first sensation of savory salt beads attached to the fried potato...to the last swallow of the greasy bread housing a thin patty topped with pickles, ketchup, mustard, and onions I was in heaven. I can still lick the salty taste from off of my lips. The carbonation from the diet soda cleanses my palette as its bubbles slide down my throat. And I am satisfied.

My American appetite was allowed to run free this afternoon, for tomorrow it's back to hummus and pita, fruit and single servings of soup.

No comments: