Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Pop

This is an email from my father in response to reading a paper I wrote for a psych class; it's clear where I get my intellectual bent from. I also love that he used the Greek spelling for, "chaos".

"Hi Marisa,

good luck with your exams. Your paper is excellent. I started out being a philosophy/psychology person, but found the study of theology encompassed both. It has the true history of humans hidden in verse written by humans. History being the whole picture, not just what man has done but who we are.

It is human nature to repeat history, which is why it is important to study history, so we can repeat the good and improve on the bad. Unfortunately, most just keep repeating the bad.

Your theory on questioning hits the nail on the head. It is only through questioning, I believe that one can grow personally and spiritually. Not so much outwardly, but inwardly, which is the true measure of one's self. Through this inward growth we take action.

Faith in something is action and questioning is the essence of the truest form of faith. The biggest risk we take in life is to question because there will be a result. We as humans find it very uncomfortable to not know what the result will be, so in many cases no action is taken.

If there is a God, which I believe there is, he/she loves it when we question our faith. It is the beginning of serenity and growth. In the business world one can question, but one needs to be very politically correct when doing so. With a higher power there are no politics just answers to questions. No questions are too ridiculous and the answers are risky, which I love. I find much peace in that. Some would call it Kaos. I call it letting go.

You mentioned science vs. self. We are a product of science, which starts with self and questions. All said and done Einstein thought the Bible was just a collection of silly children's stories. He is correct, because that is all we can really handle. He also said just before he died, "I want to know Gods thoughts everything else means nothing."

He believed in a higher power, because he could not figure everything out, so he felt there must be something else out there. The Bible he felt was just the best we could do as humans to record the answers, as feeble an attempt as it was. The only thing that separates us from science is passion for other human beings. My question to you is this. Where does that come from? Science does not have an answer.

I choose to believe there is something out there that is bigger than us. If one does not believe that, just stick a metal fork in a lite socket sometime. If one survives that, they will for sure have a new found humility. For lack of a better term (heaven), I will believe there is a better world until I am not there. Thanx for the insight.

Love,
Dad"

No comments: