Sunday, December 4, 2011

My Mission Statement/Isn't This What Blogs Are For?


What's Yours? What is it that you want above all other things? What kind of difference do you want to make in your life or in the lives of others? I believe this is the heart of finding our purpose. I've thought long and maybe even hard about what I want. I've read 30 billion articles online and in print about advice to find what that is. I've read new age spiritual books about handling life. Detachment, helping others, self-respect all of these ideas have been floating around in my head for the last couple of years. And by Jove, I think I've got it. One of the great things about diversity of the human experience and the human personality and the human brain is that we all have something we feel passionately about. It's just that when we're young, we tend to believe that we have to subscribe to others' passions or else ours isn't valid. And that's not true. 



So, here it is: I want to stick a pin in the all of the areas of life experience that are currently surrounded by bubbles of pomposity, exclusivity and pretension. I want to burst those bubbles and invite everyone in who's interested in attending the party. Furthermore, I think the idea that education is a privilege instead of a right is totally backward. People saying that are just perpetuating a notion that makes it harder for everyone. (Ironically these are people decrying our system's flaws who often work for a non-profit trying to promote education. This is like a dietitian going around talking about how impossible dieting is.) It doesn't have to be. It's all about your attitude and the knowledge that you arm yourself with that makes the difference. We actually have a system in place that offers a lot of help to people putting themselves through school. Not only are there grants, loans and scholarships there are colleges and universities and trade schools to suit every schedule and every aptitude for learning.  There are a surprising number of opportunities for loan repayment too. I should know. I used the system, in the absence of my parents having a college fund for me, to educate myself. I want to get Thomas Jefferson on this country's a**. I don't want anyone to feel left out. But what's more, I don't want anyone to be left out. Rather than try to overhaul one flawed system with another that's bound to have flaws because we are only humans after all. I want to facilitate people using the current system in place to work for them.


That's my mission statement. What's yours?





No comments: