Monday, December 5, 2011

My Dad Keeps Me Humble


I was on the phone with my Dad the other day, telling him that I am pretty burned out on spending all day by myself in my head. And since I've moved back, I need to branch out and make more friends. I also began to tell him my grand plan to start bartending/serving a few nights per week downtown to free up time to build and manage the websites I'm involved with and focus on their profitability. And also to be out in society talking to people.


Because at the end of the day, I don't care if it's in Vogue, GQ or whatever. I'm just not down writing for other people. I just can't stand the idea of working for someone else(s) in the long term.


Anyways, I start saying how I'll make good money working part time and he kind of interrupts and says that serving is an admirable job by virtue of its description/name. I keep talking and say that there are career servers in NYC at the best restaurants who make six figures per year. Why the fuck did I even say that? It's not like I'm going to do that. I guess I needed to try and class-up my moonlighting gig. But, good old Fred put me in my place and said "There are a lot of career waiters who work in dives and diners too." 


He didn't need to say anything else on the matter. His tone of voice said it all. "It's perfectly okay not to be wealthy, honest work deserves respect no matter what it is or where it's at."


My Dad keeps me humble. That guy on the far left.

No comments: