Tuesday, January 27, 2009

It's the Celebrity Retard Game!


Starring this evening will be Anne Hathaway, Frank Langella, and Robert Downey Jr. Below is an excerpt from a Newsweek interview called the "oscar roundtable". I'm guessing these are the actors nominated for Oscars this year. Check out Hathaway.

Anne, what about you? Do you Google yourself?
HATHAWAY: No.

LANGELLA: It's not a good idea. It can be painful and it can be self-aggrandizing.

HAWKINS: What do they say about don't believe any of it?

DOWNEY: Oh, I love all that s–––, personally. Sorry. I just love it. Because it's a hoot. Some people overstate their support, like they know you. Other people are busy doing something else and just want to go on this chat site and say some despicable character assassination, which I honestly think they kind of nailed it. I do have that shortcoming. It's really fun.

Later on that day...

HATHAWAY: OK, I have a confession. I lied before when you asked if I Googled myself. I do. I'm embarrassed by it because I know how terrible it is.

DOWNEY: Wait a minute, should I feel s–––ty that I Google myself?

HATHAWAY: You should feel s–––ty about other things, Robert. For a while, it cracked me up. I found a ton of humor in it. But recently it's changed. There's a big difference now where information is being reported as news. And I'm very uncomfortable with that. And what you were saying, Brad, and God knows you deal with it worse than anyone, the idea that you blink your eyes and it's all over the Internet. It's a strange thing to be part of.

Is Anne (Seinfeld's Doppelganger) Hathaway really telling Robert Downey Jr. that he should feel like shit? Is she really taking a place of (even if it's comic sarcasm) authority over someone whose raw talent shines through even when he's out of his mind fucked up on blow? I mean really? This wierd looking upstart thinks she has the right to joke around with Robert Downey Jr. by insulting him? This is from the same woman whose resume includes "The Princess Diaries" and going out with a complete tool for like five years without realizing it. I'm not even going to get in to the fact that people who are nominated for Oscars are often the winners of nothing more than a popularity contest and that films nominated for oscars are so predictable at this point that a snooze fest like "Benjamin Button" made the cut...but how difficult is it to act like you're mad at the world (e.g. "Rachel Getting Married"). That's probably the easiest emotion to convey. I do have to give her a Captain Obvious award for telling us that being a celebrity with the media so readily accessible through the internet is strange. I mean I figured getting followed around all day long by douche bags with a camera would feel totally normal. oh, and she's a liar.

No comments: